When the nose has been injured, fractures and/or dislocations of the nasal bones or cartilages may occur. As long as considerable swelling is present, it is often difficult to diagnose these conditions.
How do I know if my nose is broken? (Broken Nose Symptoms)
The signs that suggest you may have a broken nose may include the following:
- Pain when touching your nose
- Swelling of the nose or cheeks
- Bruising of your nose or under the eyes (black eye)
- crooked nose
- Nose bleed
As the nose swelling subsides, the nose may appear crooked or deformed and airway obstruction may persist. These conditions are often a result of fractured and/or dislocated nasal bones and cartilages. (See photographs this page.)
Do I need an X-ray if I think I have a broken nose?
X-rays are of limited value since cartilaginous deformities are not visible with conventional x-ray studies. About one-half (1/2) of nasal fractures involve the cartilaginous portions of the nose. Dr Simoni do not recommend x-ray routinely because he believes these tests do not alter the course of nose fracture treatment.
Do I need a surgery for my broken nose?
Although most nasal fractures do not require emergency surgery, they usually should be repaired within 2-3 weeks. Dr Simoni will make specific recommendations in each individual case depending upon the existing circumstances.
Nose Surgery may be needed for visible displaced or crooked nose.
- Some simple nose surgeries can be performed in the doctor's office. Dr Simoni pushes the broken bones back into place. These procedures can be easily done under local anesthesia.
- Complex nasal surgeries, involving realigning the nasal bones and surrounding tissue, are performed under anesthesia and in the operating room.
In some cases desired changes in the size or shape of the external appearance of the nose can be made while correcting the fractures. If you wish to have such alterations, let us know when you make your appointment.
Schedule your consultation with Dr. Simoni today!
Please call our office at (310) 360-1360 to schedule your private consultation for Los Angeles, California Broken or fractured Nose.